Saturday, November 10, 2012

TODAY

When I taught school I found a poem that I thought was quite appropriate for my middle school students.  I had it enlarged and and had it hanging on the wall in the classroom.  I would read it to the students everyday the first few days of the school year, to remind them that they had control of what kind of day they were going to have.  I often think of this poem and thought I would share it with you today as it is quite appropriate for adults, also. We don't really have control over what happens to us, but we do have control over how we respond.  I hope you will enjoy this poem. The author is unknown.  




TODAY

Outside my window, a new day I see
and only I can determine what kind of day it will be.
It can be busy, sunny, laughing, and gay,
Or boring and cold, unhappy and grey.
My own state of mind is the determining key,
for I am only the person I let myself be. 
I can be thoughtful and do all I can to help,
or be selfish and think just of myself.
I can enjoy what I do and make it seem fun,
or gripe and complain and make it hard on someone.
I can be patient with those who may not understand,
or belittle and hurt them as much as I can.
But I have faith in myself, and believe what I say,
and I personally intend to make the best of each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment