Thursday, October 18, 2012

MAKING EXCUSES CAN BE A GOOD THING

This was the front page feature in the monthly newsletter that I receive from the  trust that manages the health benefits for employees in the school district that I retired from.  Credit was not given to anyone for writing it, so I guess the writers for the newsletter (return address says Hope Health) compiled the list.  Since I always try to find the good in things that happen to you, I especially enjoyed reading the article. Probably because I really need to start making some of these excuses, too. I am sharing the complete article with you.  The quotation marks at the beginning and end are my way of making sure that it doesn't appear that I am trying to pass someone else's work off as my own.

"Making excuses can be a good thing

Many people have no problem finding reasons why they can't or don't exercise more. "I can't go for a walk because I'm too tired." "I don't want to try an aerobics class because I might hurt myself."

It's time that making excuses becomes a positive --- for you and your health.  Instead of justifying your lack of physical activity, think of why you should get up and get moving.

Tell yourself, I will exercise today because...

  • It will improve my heart health. 
  • It may reduce my risk of cancer.
  • It may make me look better.
  • It will strengthen my bones.
  • It may help me feel proud of myself.
  • It will help me become stronger.
  • It may boost my metabolism.
  • It will make my clothes fit better.
  • It will improve my cholesterol levels.
  • It is a way for me to take care of myself.
  • It is cheap entertainment.
  • It may help me sleep better at night.
  • I want to be stronger than my excuses.
  • It will help me reduce my health-care costs.
  • It will reduce my chances of getting type 2 diabetes."

Can you think of any others?

No comments:

Post a Comment