Monday, September 3, 2012

BANANA-RAISIN BRAN MUFFINS

UPDATE:  This morning I made these muffins to take to share with the handbell choir since we were playing in church this a.m. and had to be at church early to practice.  I didn't notice that the recipe called for 2 eggs and I only had 1.  I ended up substituting 1/3 cup of applesauce for the other egg and they tasted great....so moist.  So I have amended the recipe for this substitution.  I probably should do this all the time as I have issues with cholesterol.

Recently during a slow day at Hillcrest Thrift Shop where I volunteer as cashier, I picked up a Leisure Arts Spirit of Christmas Book 8 to help pass the time away and saw some recipes that looked good.  One of them was for Banana-Raisin Bran Muffins.  I still had some Raisin Bran cereal left after making another muffin recipe recently.  So I decided to give them a try. 

I actually made two batches because I followed the recipe and made them using paper muffin cups and they didn't come out clean very easily.  (I forgot to spray the cups with cooking spray before I put the batter in them. The recipe didn't say too either)  Since I had enough banana, I decided to try them again without the paper cups.  They worked fine.


BANANA-RAISIN BRAN MUFFINS

1   cup all-purpose flour
3/4   cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/3   cup sugar (I used 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of truvia blend)
2   teaspoon baking powder
1/2   teaspoon baking soda
1/2   teaspoon salt
2   eggs OR 1 egg + 1/3 cup applesauce
1/2   cup buttermilk (1 % or fat-free)
1/4   cup canola oil
1  -  4 oz individual serving of unsweetened applesauce
2   medium banana, mashed
2   cups raisin bran flakes cereal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare muffin tins for 18 muffins by spraying with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a small bowl,  whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, and bananas.  Measure 2  cups of raisin bran cereal.

Crush cereal in a small bowl.

Add buttermilk mixture and raisin bran flakes to dry ingredients.  Stir until ingredients are moistened.

   Fill muffin tins two-thirds full.

























Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool in tins on wire racks for 10 minutes before removing.

Serve warm.  

If cold, reheat in microwave for 10 seconds, cut in half and spread with butter for a delicious muffin.

I made these just before going to visit our son and his family.  I froze half of them for us to enjoy whenever and took the rest with us to CO.  I heated them up in the microwave, spread a little margarine on them, and they were a bit hit with the grandkids as a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment