Tuesday, August 14, 2012

MOCK CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

I have had this recipe so long.  Know how I know?  I typed it on an index card.  Yes, you read that right....
TYPED.  (Did you see the feature on CBS, Sunday Morning about how typewriters are coming back?)  Sorry, I'll get back to the subject of this blog......I also typed ...."Electric skillet 325 degrees".  So if you still have one......

Anyway, as I was saying, I have had this recipe a long time.  And I don't remember where I got it.  Sorry, I do like to give credit when I know it.   This time I made it using ground beef.  The last few years though I have been more likely to make it with ground turkey.  My husband limits his "red meat" and I can't tell the difference in taste when I use the ground turkey.

MOCK CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

1   beaten egg
1/4   cup milk
1   cup coarsely crushed saltines (whole grain)(about 20 crackers)
2   tablespoons finely chopped onion
1   teaspoon chili powder
1/4   teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4   teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1   lb.  ground meat
2   tablespoons canola oil

Combine egg, milk, 1/2  cup crumbs, onion, chili powder, salt, and Worcestershire sauce.

Add ground meat, and mix well.  (Ok to use your hands)

Shape into 4-6 patties. (I made up only 2 for us and made them 1/4 lb each)

Coat with remaining crumbs.

In skillet, cook the patties in oil over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side.  (longer if you make only 4 patties)

Serve with catsup or steak sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment